Monday, May 01, 2006

The best Bible study ever

What was St. Luke thinking? I know he was inspired by the Holy Spirit and all, but I hope he at least put up some sort of a fight on this one.
He said to them, "These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the law of Moses and in the prophets and psalms must be fulfilled." Then he opened their minds to understand the scriptures. And he said to them, "Thus it is written that the Messiah would suffer and rise from the dead on the third day and that repentance, for the forgiveness of sins, would be preached in his name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem. (Luke 24:44-47)

Of course that is a fight Luke lost, being that the Holy Spirit is God.

All kidding aside, last Sunday's gospel reading highlights the second time (the first is 24:27) Luke writes about Jesus explaining how the scriptures all point to him. Can you imagine being a fly on the wall during those converstations? Talk about a lesson in typology. Who better to explain the Word of God than the Word himself? At times I wish Luke would have given us a description of what was said, but then I realize the wisdom of the Holy Spirit.

That amazing chunk of the deposit of faith could not be left to the devices of men in written word, rather, it needed to be protected by the Holy Spirit through the church, where it would be much more difficult for man to distort the teaching of the best Bible study ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home